Friday, March 20, 2015

People generally describe musicians and artists as creative. My high school band in a rural Illinois district is full of creative students, but we still aren't able to utilize technology in our classroom as much as I would like.

Personally,  I've had experience with programs such as GarageBand. It has allowed me to create mix downs and fade in and out and send it on to iTunes.  I think the software can be a very useful tool and would love to expose my high school band of 70 students to it. However,  we would have to get creative simply because our school computer lab isn't nearly large enough to accommodate everyone. In fact, next month, voters in our district will have a chance to okay a renovation project to our over 100-year-old building that would include a new media center. Maybe that could allow for some more availability. 

Some of more core subjects are able to utilize technology and different software to expose students to different forms of learning. Bauer (2014) makes the case that music software can allow young musicians to explore their creativity and also teach them to attempt new things which could lead to great new and exciting results.
Moving forward, I think I would like to allow some of my students to utilize some programs such as GarageBand, even if in small groups. If we could incorporate this in our elementary school, it might help increase numbers and interest in our program since the younger generations are so used to technology.

As for now, field show software and Facebook are about the only tools I'm able to use to flood messages to my band and parents, but I also think it's just a matter of time before that can improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment